Skip to content
Chapter 10 – Cardiovascular Disease and Stroke
- Define cardiovascular disease
- Identify types of cardiovascular disease
- Identify risk factors for cardiovascular disease
- Assess personal risk of cardiovascular disease
- Heart Disease: The disease of the heart that can be deemed deadly to about 425,000 people per year.
- Atherosclerosis: The narrowing and hardening of the arteries.
- Angina Pectoris: Crushing chest pains.
- Arrhythmia: A lack of “normal” heart rhythm.
- Myocardial Infarction: Heart Attack
- Cerebrovascular accident: Also known as CVA, is a term used for strokes
- Ischemic Stroke: A stroke happening in the vessels on the way to the brain, most likely from a blockage
- Hemorrhagic stroke: A stroke that happens when vessels in the brain rupture causing heavy bleeding within the brain.
- HDL Cholesterol: High-Density Lipoprotein, also known as the good type of cholesterol.
- LDL Cholesterol: Low-Density Lipoprotein also known as the good type of cholesterol.