Chapter 3 – Cardiorespiratory Fitness
Test Your Knowledge
1. Which of the following is one of the primary functions of the cardiorespiratory system?
a. To transport oxygen
b. To pick up waste products
c. To transport nutrients
d. All of the above are functions of the cardiorespiratory system.
2. Cardiorespiratory endurance is developed best by activities that:
a. Involve continuous rhythmic movements of large muscle groups.
b. Alternate between brief periods of maximal exertion and rest.
c. Gently extend joints beyond their normal range of motion.
d. Involve working with weights or resistance.
3. Maximal oxygen consumption (VO2max) is:
a. The body’s maximum ability to take in and utilize oxygen
b. The velocity of oxygen flowing through the blood
c. Solely determined by genetics
d. Very difficult to predict
4. The non-oxidative energy system could provide energy for up to:
a. Maximum of 10 second or less
b. Up to 2 minutes
c. As long as needed
d. Up to 5 minutes
5. Adenosine triphosphate (ATP) is defined as:
a. The building block of proteins
b. The stored form of sugar
c. The simplest form of carbohydrate in the blood
d. The basic form of energy used by the cells.
Answer key: 1. D, 2. A, 3. A, 4.B, 5. D