Semicolons, colons and dashes
Are you curious about when to use semicolons, colons or dashes? This 5-point assignment might help. Check your syllabus for the due date.
- Read from the writing website for University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Read the draft of your essay and find five sentences that use or could use semicolons, colons or dashes.
- Copy and paste the five sentences from your draft into a document for this assignment.
- You may need to revise sentences in order to use semicolons or colons or dashes. If so, show both the “before” sentence from your draft and the “after” version.
- Now consider the best version for your essay. For each of the five sentences, support your position, perhaps by starting with one of these statements:
- The original sentence is the best way because…
- The semicolon, colon, or dash is more effective than the original because…